Thursday 12 February 2015

Progress Update

As I have changed my idea from a performance video to a pure narrative video, I have decided to analyse some music videos that contain features similar to my intended narrative: music videos that feature children and identify what some of the codes and conventions of these videos are. I will also be analysing the way in which these singles/bands were marketed as research to inform my ancillary texts, therein, I will be analysing merchandise produced for bands such as Blind Melon, Ugly Kid Joe and even artists who do not target the same demographic as my chosen band such as Kanye West because despite the fact the genre of music and target demographic differs, it will still allow me to gain an insight into how the use of camera, sound, mise en scene and editing change when featuring young actors and how these work in tandem with Andrew Goodwin's ideologies. This research will certainly inform the way I design my ancillary texts and how I structure my music video when producing my rough cuts. It will also allow me to come to a decision as to whether I want the video to be an open or closed structure in terms of it's narrative.

I will take inspiration from Andrew Goodwin's theories of how a music video can link back directly to the narrative. One of his theories postulates that the three elements that enable the song to correlate with the video:

Amplification
Illustration 
Disjuncture

Illustration

Illustration is frequently used in music videos so that the visuals work in conjunction with the song lyrics, and it is one of the most important concepts in a music video as the literal meaning in a song can be translated directly onto the screen to help people further comprehend the meaning of the song. This will certainly inform the production my video and the narrative will encapsulate the essential meaning in the song. This will mean that the video generally will follow the narrative in the song closely. For example when the lyrics "I've got to run away" are sung I intend to use shots of a young actor running through a field or a playground

Amplification

This is essentially repeatability, exaggeration to ensure that the concepts/conventions elicited through the camera, sound, editing and mise en scene are made clear to the audience. For example, in the Arctic Monkeys' "When the Sun Goes Down" the narrative in the video amplifies the theme of prostitution and this is made clear through the way in which the video is constructed i.e. camera, sound, editing and mise en scene. The girl in question is shown to be wearing very lackluster clothing when seeking clients, and is shown to be manipulated by sordid men in secluded locations after agreeing a deal when she is scantily clad.

Disjuncture

This is when there is a clear discrepancy between what is being presented on screen and the narrative in the song - these videos often make very little sense but create meaning through adapting the codes and conventions and using abstract imagery to convey ideologies. Disjuncture often means that a completely different meaning to what is featured in the narrative is conveyed and the video is often steeped in irony. These videos can give the song more exposure and make the artist more reputable.This subversion in the narrative is entirely intentional and is a method that has been employed by a number of artists to attract attention to their work.


No comments:

Post a Comment