Friday 6 February 2015

Equipment List

I plan to utilise a range of the adobe products in order to edit my video to alter some of the effects to either adhere or break some of the traditional codes and conventions for the genre of my video (rock). I will therefore be using programmes such as Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe After effects CS6 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. Along with these editing tools, in order to actually film the video I will be using a Nikon HD camera and a tripod. However due to practicalities and availability, I will probably opt to use my own camera - a 12.1 mega pixel Casio Exilim. This particular camera boasts a better quality lens than some of the Nikon HD cameras provided by my school's media department, and I want to emphasise quality control in my product as using the more basic cameras may produce a more lackluster final product, whereas I want my product to be viewed as authentic and ever so slightly more lavish (despite the fact I still wish to incorporate a 'rough around the edges' look into my video, this does not mean compromising lens quality and subsequently picture quality to obtain this more original, authentic feel).

Using the aformentioned editing tools to edit my product will allow me to add important effects during the editing process such as slow motion and monochrome effects, both of which will work well with the slow intro of the song I am producing for. The tripod will allow me to pan efficiently whilst keeping the subject of the shot centralized in the frame and also ensure that the shot is consistent - there must be an element of quality control. It is also essential for maintaining still for close-ups, time lapses, zooming in/out of the subject and extreme close-ups/close-ups. A tripod is essential to filming landscapes as the increased range of motion allows for more dramatic panoramic shots to capture the larger environment - which will help in my video as I have to convey the isolation of a child to the audience, which is why I have chosen to use a large field that will encompass a large area of space surrounding my actor to further reinforce the idea that he/she is isolated.

 I will also have access to state of the art MacBook Air laptops on which to edit my product. These come with a plethora of Adobe programmes already installed to help me edit my footage, whilst I also find the MacBook range of laptops by Apple are far more accessible and easy to use than some of the more dated computers/laptops produced by other companies which seem somewhat  obsolete and, as I have stressed before, I want to maintain some level of quality control and ensure that my product is of the highest quality as is practically possible with the resources that I have access to.

Therein, my equipment list is as follows:

Casio 12.1 Mega Pixel Camera (for some elements of my promo I may also opt to use the Nikon HD camera provided by the media department of my sixth form)
Camlink Camera Tripod
MacBook Air Laptop
Adobe Premiere CS6
Adobe After Effects CS6
Adobe Photoshop CS6

In terms of using the tripod, I am going to omit the use of a tripod for some shots as I believe a handheld shot can give a very 'indie' effect which I want for my video whilst it also gives the audience a sense of involvement and realism. This technique has been heavily featured in Ed Sheeran's "The A Team" video which I am taking huge inspiration from due to the similarities found in my video (young, lonely girl who is isolated, dealing with some form of rejection). This serves as a sort of 'pastiche' reference to Ruskin Kyle's work on the video. I have also made this decision to film some parts of the production without a tripod to incorporate elements of verisimilitude into the video which maintains relevance to the mise en scene, the style in which the video is edited, the idea of minimalism in the video and also the genre of the song/artist.

It will also connote minimalism in my film making which is something I certainly want: if the music video represents minimalism then it will echo the bands approach towards making music which will earn them respect from other artists and potential record labels/executives.

No comments:

Post a Comment