Friday 10 April 2015

The Case - "The Fight": Second Draft (Second Shoot)



Above is the second cut of my video, I have made significant changes to it since my first cut and mainly just included a lot more footage than I had previously so that I can get a rough idea as to what my video is looking like. I have also included a time lapse in the video (02:04 - 02:10) which was inspired by the time lapse from the video "Sweet Child O' Mine" - I want to create a graphic match that will be recognisable to my target audience who (upon analysis of survey results) manifest a keen interest in this style of music and so will be able to relate to this intertextuality in the video and will hopefully gratify them as an audience. In order to film this time lapse, I had to stand in the field for fifteen minutes using a high angled shot in order to capture the sky and also include some of the field within the confines of the frame to capture the dramatic effect of the shadows (projected from the clouds) moving along the surface of the field to create a sense of pathetic fallacy within the video. I then had to import this footage into Premiere Pro and cut/trim the clip as I encountered some adversities when filming such as dog walkers and general pedestrians being included in the shot which was not what I wanted as this would ruin the dramatic effect I intended for my video. In addition to this, it was important that I retained the monochrome effect to maintain synergy between all the scenes in the video, as I originally wanted to include this as the only shot in the video to include colour, however, my teacher advised against this strongly and said that it would break the continuity of the video. After applying the monochrome effect to the clip I right clicked the footage and selected (Speed/Duration...) and then slowed the pace at which the clip is played - this is another way that my development on new media software/technologies allowed me more creative freedom in the constructive process of creating my product, meaning that I can be more incisive in the decisions I make and more direct when creating the video, rather than having to compromise due to a lack of proficiency on the software.


Depicted above is the process by which I was able to apply the effect of a 'time lapse' in my video, this gave the effect of the girl being insignificant, giving the impression that even as time moves on and the world advances, she is left behind and almost forgotten. Following this I then adjusted the pace/speed of the video accordingly as depicted below.


After I had applied this effect, I noticed that upon playback of the video the time lapse appeared very jumpy and lagged significantly (to my frustration) and I could not work out why. However, I then conducted some research into Premiere Pro and realised that my video needed to be rendered in order to give it a smoother playback.


By selecting "Render Entire Work Area" I was able to render the entire video which meant a green bar appeared above all the clips I had selected to be rendered in the Premiere work area, and this allowed for smoother transitions between shots and sequences and a smoother playback for my time lapse which now appears far more professional. I later found out that as a short cut, simply pressing the enter key on the MacBook allowed me to render the entire video.


Depicted above: the green bar that indicated that the footage had been rendered. This was important to check before exporting the footage as I wanted to make sure the quality of my second cut was good - this is also something I will have to pay close attention to before exporting my final cut as I will have to ensure that it is of the highest quality before it is moderated, ironing out any creases that may be present in the video.

The majority of my filming in the second shoot was done without the use of a tripod, as this is something I noticed was a commonality among some of the videos I have analysed ("Sweet Child O' Mine" being the most notable example) and it allowed me to capture the video with connotations that it was more of a 'documentary' than a music video, which certainly added to the verisimilitude of the second cut of the video. I have added almost a montage at the end of the video, a sequence of shots inter-cut with other more dramatic shots (girl ripping the paper and crying etc.) and I have done this in a way so that the cuts have been done in time with the beat of the drum or the guitar riff - this will help me establish a good relationship between the audio and the visuals (another convention I unearthed upon researching the subject) which will make the text easier to decode for the audience. In addition to this I have also included a shot that matches the audio: at 02:24, when the vocalist screams "I've got to run away" I have matched the audio and visuals together by including a rather dramatic shot of the girl running away (embodying the songs lyrics) in slow motion. I believe this coupled with some of the binary oppositions I have included in the video, such as the concept of the girl playing in the playground and swinging on the swing whilst manifesting a very pensive, depressed expression have allowed me to encode genuine meaning into my video in order to help me get more marks.



This is how I applied the black and white or 'monochrome' effect in the video, which has been used throughout the video to maintain a certain level of synergy in the video that will work well in conjunction with my ancillary texts.

Now it is merely a case of filling in the gaps, thinking of an effective ending (this is all teacher feedback) and making small tweaks to lighting and colour correcting the video before conducting a comprehensive and meticulous evaluation of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment