Friday 20 March 2015

First Cut/First Shoot

The shots in the video are the result of my first shoot and are an incredibly vague insight into how my video will end up - I still need to take into consideration narrative theories and adaptations such as colour correct and lighting in order for the video to be completely finished and seen as a marketable product that will represent the band's brand identity in a positive way.



This is the (unfinished) first draft of my video and upon review it is clear that it needs a significant amount of changes in order for it to gain top marks and give the artist any credibility. The video is unfinished and so needs enough footage to fill the entire song, this is probably the first problem that needs to be addressed. Secondly, in certain parts of the video (notably 00:40 - 01:20) the video clearly lacks continuity as a result of lax directing and poor editing - these are problems that will have to be rectified in my second shoot.

It is also apparent that many of my shots are very prolonged which is a direct result of poor editing - I should have cut these to make them shorter so that I could intercut with a plethora of other shots to keep the video interesting, as upon feedback from my teacher I found out that despite the fact the footage fit well in time with the music (cutting took place in time with the guitar riffs and the drum loops) the video dragged on and was quite slow and predictable which made it boring to watch. My teacher, however, did comment on how he liked the mise en scene (locations and the way the girl is presented as isolated through the fields) and also the props such as the coat she wears - which as I said I wanted to use to make the video somewhat comparable (analogous) to "The A Team" by Ed Sheeran. It was also brought to my attention that when the typography is displayed on the screen during the opening sequence (reading "The Fight by The Case: Edited, Directed and Produced by Joe Grogan") it should be displayed in the same typography as the typography used on the digipak and magazine poster/advert to make the video more authentic.

My main priority is collating enough footage on premier to be able to fill the song - my teacher said (as I suspected) is better to have surplus footage than a lack of footage as it gives me more creative freedom if I have more footage to work with. We decided it would be a good idea to film the subject scrunching the note (which she is seen reading at 00:15 seconds onwards) and throwing it in anger using a combination of ECUs close-ups and mid shots (I pondered the idea of a canted angle) to work concurrently with when the song culminates - when the guitars get louder and become more distorted and the vocals become more aggressive. My teacher also informed me that I may need to use Premier Pro software or After Effects in order to tweak the lighting in some scenes as at times the lighting of the video makes the video appear dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment