Monday 29 September 2014

How the texts I have analysed have informed my research

In order to obtain useful information to help my research, I have analysed a plethora of videos to make my research eclectic. By analysing texts from a variety of different sources, I can gain a more detailed insight into the interests of my target audience (with help from my survey). For example, many of the videos I have analysed are of an Indie Rock/Pop origin, however, I have also taken the time to analyse Hip Hop/Rap songs to diversify my research - the more I know about the expectations of each target audience the more informed and well rounded my research will be. YouTube is a useful tool in dissecting subcultures, for instance, if you were a fan of The Jam (a prominent figure in spurring the mod revival in the 70s/80s) and watched the official video for "That's Entertainment" or "Going Underground", it is likely that on the column to the right bands such as Small Faces, The Who, The Clash and possibly even bands who emerged slightly later than The Jam such as Oasis and The Stone Roses - bands who have both cited The Jam as primary influences in their music - would be suggested as viable listening options to the viewer. Essentially, if someone listens to The Jam, it is quite possible that they also listen to a few of the other bands mentioned above, therefore if my target audience enjoy Guns N' Roses (falling more into the rock/metal genre) it can be postulated that they also enjoy bands such as Motley Crue, Aerosmith or even AC/DC.

Therein, I will be analysing an array of videos deriving from a number of different sources to gain a better knowledge of the conventions of different music videos that go with certain genres. Famous music videos such as Thriller - Michael Jackson and Money for Nothing - Dire Straits will be analysed to dissect the components that constitute such a successful music video. Contemporary texts must also be analysed to gain an insight into what is compelling consumers in the present day.


No comments:

Post a Comment